Benefit Cosmetics LLC

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Its been many moons

Hi my lovelies, my greatest apologies for not writing quite as much as I said I would, but again life has gotten in the way blah blah. Anyway here is a quick review on Iman's book The Beauty of Color that I think was published about 3 years ago, not sure on that. Primarily I would like to comment on the extensive color match foundation section, she plays a great deal of attention on women of color being aware of our skin's propensities; both good and bad. Identifying your skin type, oily, normal, dry or combination and and how to choose a foundation. Most women of color, are not just one color we have light and dark shades on our faces therefore using multiple colors on our skin will enable a more natural looking makeup application. For example, black women tend to have yellow undertones to their skin, usually found on the middle of our faces, so the use of yellow based concealers down the center of our face is a MUST! After I learned this my foundation and cover up relationship dramatically changed. Also Iman suggests the use of cleansers with hydroquonoine, to erase the appearance of hyper pigmentation which is the occurrence of dark spots due to sun damage or acne scars. I highly suggest Ambi an inexpensive face cleanser with salicylic acid which fights acne and it also contains vitamin c, soy extract and spf 30 that evens out the skin tone, I recommend this to women of a darker skin tone, which includes, black,Asian, Indian and Latina women whom all have these similar yellow, brown and red tones to the skin and produce the highest amounts of melanin. Though people of color produce more of the natural UV protectant does not mean we should not protect our skin, we need just as much sunblock as anyone else. Even on the rainiest of days, the sun is still out, so apply, apply, apply! Beauty is definitely skin deep, but that does not mean your skin needs to be cracked up and burning.  Try using foundations with spf in it already to add to your moisturizer. To avoid looking oily blot face with oil absorption sheets and brush on a translucent powder or whatever powder you use, but avoid rubbing it into your skin, which will dramatize the appearance of your foundation. Well my girlies this is all I have for you today, and now that I have a new computer, you will be seeing and hearing a lot more from me! Stay tuned!

Peace and much needed love... <3

No comments:

Post a Comment